Greetings! I live and ride my velomobiles in eastern Connecticut, USA. The word "velomobile" literally means bicycle-car in French. I've been riding recumbent bicycles for 10+ years, and I own a Bacchetta Corsa high racer, a Greenspeed touring trike, as well as a Longbikes Jetstream tandem recumbent bike. But nearly all of my riding miles … Continue reading About me…
Well, I've put the Zephyr build on hold for a while... https://flic.kr/p/2kNGaf4 New to me yellow Milan, my stump damaged Milan, and a white European Milan A friend sold me his crash damaged Milan. It's the yellow one in the photo; in the background is his other Milan, a newer European made Milan, and my … Continue reading A distraction has arrived
While moving things around in the workshop I dropped my beloved Foredom tool. It broke the plastic connector that attaches the drive shaft and housing to the motor. An inexpensive part, $3.84, but I didn't have a spare on hand, so I couldn't use the tool. I put an order in with Foredom for that … Continue reading Progress continues
After completing the right side wheel well, I decided to make a time lapse video of creating the left wheel well. Here's the result: https://vimeo.com/512282331 So the first coat of gel-coat has been sprayed on each wheel-well. Now I want to sand the wheel wells, make any minor fixes with body filler, and then will … Continue reading Nearly finished with the main plug
After final sprays of gel-coat over the tail, turtledeck, manhole opening and the lower rear sides, I masked those areas off to keep them clean. I'll sand and prepare the entire main body when all the areas are ready to go. I began on the right side wheel well. Earlier in the build I made … Continue reading Finished creating a wheel well !
Before I started working on the main body plug, I made an intermediate manhole mold. This will be used for the creation of both a manhole cover and a full hood. Very rough finish obviously at this point. I'm using this to establish the general parameters of height and width. This will be set aside … Continue reading Progress!
I'm keeping with the New Year's traditional saying: Out with the old and In with the new, by tossing out the old plugs that are no longer needed. Tail, nose, and the wheel pant plug are gone, and I'm moving onto the new part of creating the main body molds~! https://flic.kr/p/2kof6kS Out with the old.... … Continue reading New Year 2021- out with the old…
At present I'm working on the left side wheel pant creation. This is the best time to get that done, before I have wheel wells to work around, and before the nose gets cut off. The right side was made previously. I'm also working to prepare the nose-cone molds for use. Wet sanded and polished … Continue reading Preparing the nose cone molds
I finished constructing this tail cone, and removed from the molds a couple days back. There are some spots where the resin stuck to the mold, and it was difficult to get it out of the mold, which means I caused some damage getting it out of the mold. Because I was waiting on 2 … Continue reading Tail cone build, continued
It's exciting to finally be building a piece using the created Zephyr molds! This first piece will be for use in the workshop. I'm also using this build to try out my thoughts on the final lay up. May have to add some here, or less there..... I'm doing the lay-up in a lot of … Continue reading Building up a test tail cone