After completing the right side wheel well, I decided to make a time lapse video of creating the left wheel well. Here's the result: https://vimeo.com/512282331 So the first coat of gel-coat has been sprayed on each wheel-well. Now I want to sand the wheel wells, make any minor fixes with body filler, and then will … Continue reading Nearly finished with the main plug
After final sprays of gel-coat over the tail, turtledeck, manhole opening and the lower rear sides, I masked those areas off to keep them clean. I'll sand and prepare the entire main body when all the areas are ready to go. I began on the right side wheel well. Earlier in the build I made … Continue reading Finished creating a wheel well !
Before I started working on the main body plug, I made an intermediate manhole mold. This will be used for the creation of both a manhole cover and a full hood. Very rough finish obviously at this point. I'm using this to establish the general parameters of height and width. This will be set aside … Continue reading Progress!
I'm keeping with the New Year's traditional saying: Out with the old and In with the new, by tossing out the old plugs that are no longer needed. Tail, nose, and the wheel pant plug are gone, and I'm moving onto the new part of creating the main body molds~! https://flic.kr/p/2kof6kS Out with the old.... … Continue reading New Year 2021- out with the old…
At present I'm working on the left side wheel pant creation. This is the best time to get that done, before I have wheel wells to work around, and before the nose gets cut off. The right side was made previously. I'm also working to prepare the nose-cone molds for use. Wet sanded and polished … Continue reading Preparing the nose cone molds
I finished constructing this tail cone, and removed from the molds a couple days back. There are some spots where the resin stuck to the mold, and it was difficult to get it out of the mold, which means I caused some damage getting it out of the mold. Because I was waiting on 2 … Continue reading Tail cone build, continued
It's exciting to finally be building a piece using the created Zephyr molds! This first piece will be for use in the workshop. I'm also using this build to try out my thoughts on the final lay up. May have to add some here, or less there..... I'm doing the lay-up in a lot of … Continue reading Building up a test tail cone
I finished removing the nose cone mold from the Zephyr plug. I switched back to building the molds using fiberglass mat rather than carbon fiber. I built the tail cone using carbon fiber, and it makes great molds, in terms of very light, and they can look so professional! But it's far too easy to … Continue reading Preparing the nose & tail molds
As I write this, it's mid November 2020, and the country is heading back into a Covid shutdown, voluntary at this point but.... I finished the work on the WAW wheel pants molds, and Dan C did get a chance to test them out a few days ago..... didn't give any appreciable improvements that he … Continue reading Zephyr nose cone molds